Using CDPA While Travelling: Your Rights and Obligations

One of the many benefits of using CDPA is that your personal assistants can accompany you when you go out – whether it be to social functions, a trip to the store, business trips, or vacation. This is consistent with the notion that CDPA is premised on the notion of giving consumers the flexibility to live independent in their community. Travel is a key part of that flexibility.

Personal assistants may accompany consumers on trips to perform approved tasks on the consumer’s plan of care. However, it is important to note that while Medicaid will pay your workers wages, it will not pay for travel expenses incurred or extra work outside of the plan of care. If you anticipate additional needs while you are traveling, you may ask your plan to temporarily modify your plan of care, although there is no guarantee that they will. It is also important for you to know that Medicaid will not reimburse for any services performed outside the United States or U.S. territories.

Before travel takes place, consumers must inform their managed care plan when they will be traveling out of state or service region. While a managed care plan cannot deny travel or tell consumers not to leave the state, it is very important to note that travel must not exceed 30 days, or the case will be disenrolled and services will be terminated. In the event of special circumstances or emergencies, i.e. an emergency while travelling, consumers should contact their managed care plan directly and inform them of the situation. Plans may extend authorizations for emergencies, but it is their decision.

Leave a Reply