Job Title: Community Organizer, New York City
Organization: Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Association of NYS
Start Date: Seeking to start immediately, open until filled
Work Location: New York City, focus on the Bronx and Harlem
Reports to: Executive Director
The Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Association of New York State (CDPAANYS) is the only organization solely focused on working to improve the state’s consumer directed personal assistance program (CDPA), on behalf of the agencies that administer it and the consumers who rely on it to live independent lives in the community.
CDPAANYS employs a grassroots approach to our work that focuses on providing consumers and agencies with the information and tools needed to identify what changes are necessary to the program and then take a leadership role in fighting for that change. To accomplish our goals and build power, we rely heavily on work with coalitions, such as the New York Caring Majority and Medicaid Matters. A key current priority is Fair Pay for Home Care, a broad campaign to invest billions of dollars into home and community based services in New York to finally address the state’s “worst in the nation” home care crisis and end a decade of cuts.
CDPAANYS is hiring a Community Organizer in the New York City Region to grow our base of support from seniors, people with disabilities, agencies, family caregivers and other allies. In the immediate future, this position is expected to focus specifically on the Bronx and Harlem. The Community Organizer will develop the leadership of our members, and support them as they engage in budget and legislative advocacy in Albany, creative actions, story-telling, communications, and digital work to elevate our narrative around the importance of care work and a caring economy. This job provides opportunity for leadership, innovation, growth, and the chance to work with partners and community leaders from around the state.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in the disability community, rigorous base building work, committed to leadership development, and able to be flexible and innovative in building a relatively new campaign. There is opportunity for more experienced candidates to take on higher levels of leadership.
- Through workshops/presentations, canvassing, one to one meetings and organizational partnerships, building CDPAANYS base of support among people with disabilities, member fiscal intermediaries, seniors, independent living centers, and other community groups.
- Training and supporting our members to successfully take on increasing leadership roles in our work and the organization.
- Working closely with coalition partners and active member leaders to advance our campaign strategy and tactics. This includes participating in (and leading) strategy meetings, supporting members in organizing meetings with/actions on legislators, and organizing other creative actions and events to elevate our narrative and vision.
- Building relationships with ally organizations, and with New York City-based institutions and organizations relevant to our issues.
- Supporting and conducting campaign research as needed.
- Represent CDPAANYS in coalition and partner meetings and events, as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess:
- 2-5 years of community and/or labor organizing paid or volunteer experience.
- Excellent communication and active listening skills, as well as an ability to receive and give feedback.
- Bilingual Spanish/English.
- Commitment to disability rights and racial, gender and economic justice.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, self-starter, and self-managed.
- A sense of humor and ability to roll with the punches in an ever-shifting political and movement landscape.
- Commitment to, and experience with, collaborative team structure and work environments.
- Experience working in coalition and managing diverse stakeholders and complicated dynamics.
- Good time management skills and ability to prioritize competing demands.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to break down large projects into smaller discrete tasks that can be distributed to member leaders.
The following are a plus but not requirements:
- Experience as a consumer or designated representative using CDPA.
- Experience with Google Suite and VoterVoice.
- Familiarity with the New York political landscape, particularly New York City.
- Familiarity with the state legislative processes.
- Experience with media, traditional and social.
- Understanding of home care and/or long-term care infrastructure in New York.
Compensation and Hours:
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary based on experience. Health and other benefits are included. CDPAANYS believes in ensuring a healthy work/life balance; however, some night and weekend work will be required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “New York City Organizer” in the subject line of your message. In your cover letter, please identify where you saw this posting (e.g. CDPAANYS’ website, Idealist, other websites) We sincerely regret that we will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
CDPAANYS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and encourages applications from disabled individuals and women, people of color, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.