How Can I Find Work As A Personal Assistant?

How Can I Find Work As A Personal Assistant?

While the consumer has a tremendous amount of discretion in who s/he hires as a personal assistant (PA), there are some rules that the New York State Department of Health (DOH) has put in place.  PAs may not be a spouse, or designated representative.  Any other adult who does not reside with the consumer, unless such residence is necessary because of the amount of care the consumer requires, may be a PA.  This includes individuals who have Power of Attorney but who are not serving as the consumer’s PA.

As of March 2016, parents of children 21 or older who are not the child’s designated representative can work as PAs.

Click here to view the Medicaid Update from the Department of Health on this new law. 

No home health aide/nursing license or certification is required to become a PA.  The only requirements DOH requires of individuals seeking to be a PA are:

  • undergo a physical,
  • provide proof of vaccinations required of others in the health care profession,
  • pass a Tuberculosis exam, and
  • meet all New York State and United States employment guidelines.

Since a fiscal intermediary (FI) is not a home care agency, it does not provide consumers with a PA.  Most FIs provide some type of recruitment assistance for the consumer, such as online advertising resources, “job fair” events where potential PAs can interact with consumers directly, and more.  To find out what FIs it is best to call the FI in your area directly.

Additional Resources:

Click here to view the Nurse Practice Act

Click here to view the CDPA statute, Section 365-f of Social Services Law.

Click here for a list of CDPAANYS FIs in New York State.

Click here to go to Consumer Directed Services’ website – A resource to match consumers and personal assistants in New York City.Consumer Directed Services is a third party entity not affiliated with CDPAANYS.  CDPAANYS does not assume any liability for matches made through this service.